Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have an amazing supervisor…

I may have failed my driving test, but that was all made up for tonight when I spoke with my supervisor, Chris, and the other new RHD, Justin. After I failed, without me knowing, Chris went on an investigative journey. He spent a lot of his own time and energy learning as much as he could to help us in our transition to Qatar. He spoke with government officials, friends, and driving school instructors to find out exactly what we need to know to pass this driving test. He found out that the government officials are looking for a lot of really little things that are taught in the driving school. He also found out that if you fail the test twice you have to take a mandatory 40 day driving class before you can take the test again (that explains why both the women sitting next to me had taken a full class and were still nervous about the test). Since I have not learned enough Arabic to understand instructions, it would not surprise me at all if I failed a second time. Chris explored every option for us and laid them all out for us to consider. I could just try to take the test again, I could take the full class, a half class, a variation of the class, or we could rent a car and each practice until we were comfortable.  After hearing all he had to share, I know I do not want to just try and take the test again. While I am not excited about having to wait longer to be able to drive on my own, I am very happy to know that I am supported by the people I work with both at work and in my new life in Doha.

My next update will not be about driving – I promise. I am excited because student staff training started today and it is my favorite part of the year. Training and hall opening are full of energy and excitement. I am looking forward to getting to know my staff better and meeting all my new students!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Hooray student staff arriving! I can't wait to hear all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to tell you all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "can do" attitude, Annie. Maybe, however, you're being led to ride "shotgun" for abit longer and figure out the system more. I am so-o-o-o disheartened to learn you are not having good results with Rosetta Stone....

    ReplyDelete